Sunday 12 August 2012

Throwaways

How Norman Spack transformed the way we treat transgender children - Lifestyle Features

"I was naïve," he says now. "I thought that all the kids I saw in the streets were runaways. And I had been told about the rules about runaways, like that they could be housed for three days without calling the parents. But one of the street workers said, 'They call them runaways. These kids are throwaways. Our goals aren't to get the kid home. Home is not a safe place.' "

1 comment:

Sarah Wilson said...

What I see happening here is the beginning of a great hope of mine. To treat the transgender patient when they're young and the treatments are most effective. This is certainly much better than the alternative, which is to guilt and shame (much of it self inflicted), the person for years only to have it avalanche on them many years later.